At the end of 2021, the ekey arte fingerprint scanner was replaced by the ekey dLine. The new flat sensor technology achieves even better results for fingerprint recognition, is intuitively easier to use, sends push notifications about access, can be operated remotely, with automatically updated software and supports remote assistance. The ekey dLine can be connected to smart home systems such as Alexa. The ekey arte will eventually be discontinued, which is why the dLine is our choice of ekey fingerprint scanners for installation in our front door handles.
- Ekey arte is replaced by ekey dLine. As the ekey arte model will be discontinued, the dLine is our choice for installation in door handles.
- When a round door handle is fitted with a fingerprint scanner, its diameter is enlarged from 30 to 34 mm. Coming in April 2022.
- In addition to the handle, the set comes with a fingerprint scanner, a design element, a control unit, a plate for attaching the control unit and cable transfer, a detachable cable transfer and a power supply. The cable for the lock is not part of the set. If the cable is not included with the motorised lock, it can be ordered separately.
- The recommended installing height of the scanner depends on the length of the handle and the mounting height on the entrance door. Ekey recommends mounting at a height of 1550 mm from the floor.
- Ekey dLine is operated via smart phone or tablet (Comfort Mode). The scanner can also be operated without an internet connection (Local Mode), but with a very limited set of functions.
Changes to round door handles with fingerprint scanners
In order to fit the door handle with the new fingerprint scanner, a change had to be made to round door handles.
The ekey dLine scanner is larger (25 x 52 x 18 mm) than previous models. The problem arises when fitting the ekey dLine scanner into round handles, as the scanner no longer fits into a standard 30 mm diameter handle due to its increased size. At Griffing we opted for round handles with a larger 34 mm diameter if they are to be fitted with a fingerprint scanner.
The dimensions of other handles (square, rectangular, diamond) with fitted fingerprint scanners remain unchanged.
The ekey dLine fingerprint scanner can be fitted onto the Prime Line (except for Exodus, Arcus and CVU models as we do not fit these with a scanner) and Vision Line handles, but it is only suitable for mounting on the front.
A revolutionary novely is also in the mounts for electrified door handles. Check it out here.
What will you receive in the ekey dLine fingerprint scanner kit?
In addition to the front door handle with an ekey dLine fingerprint scanner, the following shall be included in the set:
|Design element for the handle: the design plate to be affixed to the scanner is made of brushed stainless steel in two colours: silver or black RAL 9005. Technical details can be found here (page 22).|
|Control unit: is separate from the scanner, hidden in the door and signals the motor to open the door. The control unit is the same for doors of all materials. The supply voltage is from 12 to 24 VDC and the power consumption is about 0.6 W. It has three connectors: one for the scanner, one for external components and one for the power supply and external control. It is ready to be installed in the cut-out. Technical details can be found here (page 23).|
|Scanner to control unit cable: this cable connects the scanner and the control unit. It is fitted into the handle by us. The cable is up to 4 m long. Longer cables are available upon request. Technical details can be found here (page 23).|
|Plate for attaching the control unit and cable transfer: a metal plate is available with a width of 16 mm (round ends, suitable mostly for PVC profiles), 20 mm (round ends, suitable mostly for wooden doors and square ends suitable mostly for aluminium doors) and 24 mm (square ends suitable mostly for aluminium doors). Technical details can be found here (page 23).|
|Cable transfer: the detachable, 6 pin cable transfer. It has a connector on the door for the dLine control unit and 6 wires on the door frame: 2 for power supply, 2 for an external switch, and 2 for communication. We attach it to the metal plate where the control unit is also mounted.|
|Power supply: there are two options, flush mounted with a cable and 12 V and 24 V uninterruptible power supply for DIN-rail mounting. The following supplies are included as standard HDR15-12, HDR30-12 or HDR30-24. The UPS or power supply is selected based on the characteristics of the motorised lock, with the advantage that the system can be safely powered for several hours in the event of a power failure. Technical details can be found here (page 25).|
Ekey dLine is suitable for all locks with an electric motor. Most of them come with a cable already attached, so there is no cable included in the set. The cable may be ordered separately at an extra cost.
Example of installation in a front door
For other technical and contextual details, see the ekey dLine fingerprint scanner catalogue available here .
What information do you need to give us to order a front door handle with an ekey dLine fingerprint scanner?
- Handle type: you can choose from the Prime Line (except for Arcus, Exodus and CVU models) and Vision Line.
- Colour of the design element for the dLine scanner: available in stainless steel silver and black RAL 9005. If the handle is black, we usually use a black design element.
- Lock cable: if the cable is not included with the motorised lock, it can be ordered separately at extra cost.
Ask for a price and try the new ekey dLine fingerprint scanner technology:
Recommended installing height of te fingerprint scanner in the front door handle
Ekey recommends fitting the scanner at 1550 mm from the floor. This height has been proven to be accessible for children, people with disabilities and people of shorter stature.
At Griffing, we recommend fitting a scanner to different lengths of handles. Another important element is the height of the front door on which the handle will be mounted.
Example: if the distance between the floor and the bottom edge of the handle is 500 mm and the handle is 1800 mm long, the scanner should be fitted 1500 mm from the bottom edge of the handle, which means that it is installed 2000 mm from the floor! In this case, you should consider whether this is an appropriate height for the people who will be using the scanner.
Benefits of the ekey dLine fingerprint scanner for front door manufacturers
We recommend that manufacturers fit the scanner into the door handle, as the user touches it anyway when opening the door. Instead of a cut-out for the scanner in the door, an additional hole is made at the location of the handle mount for the cable transfer.
- Doors become smart: with the ekey dLine scanner which can be connected to smart home systems you are offering solutions of the future. Your front doors have a higher value and they stand out in the market.
- One fingerprint scanner and one control unit for front doors of all materials: no need to order different door materials as these control units are suitable for all materials, which makes your job easier and saves you time.
- Future-proof systems: expandable at any time with new features and devices.
- Remote diagnosis: predictive maintenance by logging into the customer’s system.
Advantages of ekey dLine fingerprint scanner for end customers
Unlocking with a fingerprint via the ekey dLine is simple and user-friendly. The system is 1,000 times more secure than a 4-digit code, recognises your finger by touch, and has an ultra-high-resolution sensor. It connects to the dLine system via the internet. All data is safe in the cloud on an MS Azure server, which is also used by banks.
- Remote opening: you can open the door remotely, so there is no need to wait at home just to open the door for someone (e.g. a handyman).
- Push notifications: a soon as someone opens the door, you receive a notification (e.g. you are notified when your child comes home from school and opens the door).
- Smart home: the scanner can connect to your smart home services.
- Access without keys: you need only your fingerprint to unlock the door – there is no need to carry keys.
- Remote access: in case of a malfunction, you can give the ekey technician remote access to help you troubleshoot the problem.
- The software is automatically updated.
Ekey dLine fingerprint unlocking with smart phone or tablet offers much more
You can control the ekey dLine via the internet or the ekey bionyx application in Comfort Mode, or in Local Mode without an internet connection – in the latter case, the functions are very limited.
- Comfort Mode (with an internet connection): the advantages include remote opening, push notifications, connection to smart home systems (such as Alexa), logged access to the home, remote support and the possibility to expand to 100 users.
- Local Mode (on site use via radio connection without an internet connection): this offers unlocking with a fingerprint scanner, intuitive administration with a smart-phone, operated with a smart-phone near the door but not remotely, firmware updates and different switching functions with different fingers.
Using the ekey dLine fingerprint scanner is extremely easy and advanced. It represents the solution of the future and fits in with the smart home. Because of all these advantages and upgrades, which make life easier for both the manufacturers of front doors and end users, we also fit them in handles at Griffing.